Sunday, October 07, 2007

"How to talk to a widower" by Jonathan Tropper

Captain Sensible writes: I previously said that the article I linked to in my last post was excellent, but inadequately short! Maybe there is something there that is deeper than I previously realised? "But some loves must die, if they are not from God they are not really loves anyway."
Just my opinion, but I think love is in essence a connection. With unrequited love, perhaps it boils down to one person feeling a connection that actually isn't really there?
Two things come to mind, having just read the most amazing book, "How to talk to a widower" by Jonathan Tropper. It's fabulous - funny, poignant, insightful, hilarious and everyone must read it immediately!
A refrain that runs through it is: "I had a wife. Her name was Hailey. Now she's gone. And so am I."
It charts the course of the greiving and healing process in a very honest, raw and tragi/comic vein, and will have you in tears that alternate between laughter and loss.
But one thing it brought to mind is that death causes loss where there was a very real connection.
Unrequited love however brings about a loss where there actually maybe wasn't a connection? Something that is described I think in the song "Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something.
Something to think about perhaps?

1 Comments:

Blogger (Sara) said...

Okay, so I've read the book now. It's one of those that--for me, at least--you have to wade thru a bit of rubbish (language, etc.), but in the end, I know it was worth it. It's been a while since I've read anything quite so poignant, and funny, and read, and sad...and slim and beautiful. ;)
Sometimes, sadly, the "children of this world are wiser than the children of light," and this book proves the point.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home