Friday, November 02, 2007

Do women need to be content with singleness before they can be happily married?

Captain Sensible writes: Not according to these married women, writing on a Christian forum! They were asked if they ever missed being single. One or two answered that there were aspects of singleness that they missed. This doesn't surprise me. Even if someone had suffered a broken leg, they would probably say there were some aspects that they missed (being able to do a lot of reading?). But would they want to go through life with a broken leg? I think not!
(Many thanks to the reader that brought this to my attention. Yes, you're right! They may well still give a contentment lecture to a woman struggling with the "gift of singleness". It's what they've been told is the right thing to do and they think they are offering Godly wisdom, even though they know they never managed it. Their heart's in the right place, even if their head isn't! ;-) Don't let it bother you!)

"No, never. Truly. Not even for a single second...{{{shudder}}}"

"The only problem I had when I was single...was being single. I don't miss it at all."

"Nope not at all. I hated dating, and wondering if I'd ever get married."

"No, not at all."

"No. Being married is all the fun of being single - but being able to come home together at the end of the night. Someone to share it with..."

"No, never. Some people are happy when they're single, but I was miserable. And now that I know what it's like to be married, I could not go back - I would even be more miserable than before because now I know what I'd miss. I want to be with my husband as often as possible."

"No, not at all, never wanna go back."

"NO! I know what I have. I know exactly how fortunate and blessed I am. I wouldn't trade my husband--even in the middle of a fight--for anything or anyone!...Being married to my husband is wonderful all the time. I don't have the words to say how wonderful."

"Nah! Sure ya miss some little things when you were dating & all (my H use to leave me notes, poems on a weekly basis) but I wouldn't trade married life for being single!"

"I'm happily married and wouldn't want to go back to singlehood."

"No I don't miss it at all."

"Nothing beats having my best friend with me all the time."

"I never miss being single...I can't imagine ever missing being single. I love being married to my husband and facing life together as a team. And I love that it's just the two of us in this team."

"I don't miss being single one bit."

"Occasionally I just want to get in the car and see where I end up before I need more gas. But I know once I got there I'd miss them and wish hubby and babes were there too."

"Not at all!"

Captain Sensible adds: And to round it off, let's see how Debbie Maken ends her book "Getting Serious About Getting Married: Rethinking the gift of singleness". If it causes you to feel discontent about your singleness...well, good! Now join the movement to bring about change!

"I want women to be married. Marriage is wonderful. I love waking up every morning next to my husband -- and sometimes waking up earlier than expected as little feet patter into our room. I love riding to church in the passenger seat and having a hand to hold during the service. I love having a date every weekend. I love the freedom to have legitimate sex whenever we want. I have a husband with whom I can share my deepest thoughts and affections. We are building a life together and are creating a legacy to leave for our children.

"I cannot apologize for wanting this same wonderful life for my daughters and for each single woman who reads this book.

"May God guide you and bless you as you ponder the duty to marry and pursue the highest calling given to men and women."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home