Tuesday, March 13, 2007

More Getting Serious with Debbie Maken!

Captain Sensible writes: Just to say that the live chat transcript has been revised to add in the answers Debbie Maken gave that there wasn't time for live. Once again, there is wisdom in her words. I particularly resonated with an answer she gave with regard to "character flaws that should flat out disqualify a person from marriage" to which she answered: "I've never really developed a list. But the big one for me would be habitual lying as being a disqualifying event."
Here are some other snippets, but do read the whole thing!

"Those who champion the view that wife/bridegroom “of your youth,” is merely descriptive, a nice detail added to the story, have to reckon with the fact that it is said FIVE times in Scripture. It would be like God saying, 'BTW, did I mention they were young,' five different times. The repetition should get our attention that God does think that the season of youth is a special time to effect a lifelong marriage. Wisdom also suggests that early marriage is the normative. But this kind of preposition is merely supportive of the overall charge given in the Creation Ordinance—to be fruitful and multiply. And if that charge is to be taken seriously, then marriage should occur during the season of young adulthood."

"Most singles are ... Joe Accountants and Suzie Schoolteachers for whom singleness poses no advantages."

"Ask any Christian single: the thought of turning their God-given natural desire for family life into an 'idol' haunts them because we are fast and loose with the spiritual manipulations we will use in the church to ensure that marriage really is not presented as the normative."

"I know that a lot of the Canon people did not like the cover of my book, but I actually liked what the graphic designer captured. It is not about the wedding dress. It is about a headless and armless mannequin representing the powerlessness of women in today’s marriage search, and a repressed red background to represent the simmering rage. I thought it was a very striking cover, so I approved. I can see how a man might be a bit embarrassed to be seen holding this book, but maybe they can cover it with a brown paper bag, cut it out to look like a book jacket. They can write in big red letters on the front, 'I am not reading a woman’s book.'"

"As per church leaders catching on, I need people who have been moved by this book tapping their pastors to push this amongst the leadership. The change I seek is going to have to come from the pulpit, especially when these men are handling I Corinthians 7. Most of the damage has come from there, so the solution must arise there as well. I also think that male ministers are going to have to set up a council, website, perhaps a blogsite, where ministers who preach bad messages on this subject, are held accountable for their words. This does not need to come from me and two or three other girls spread across the globe. It has to come from the men. Otherwise in the words of Deborah to Barak, 'the glory will go to a woman.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home