Friday, April 20, 2007

Super-Stupid Quote Of The Day: #1

"I am single because God is so abundantly good to me, because this is his best for me. It is a cosmic impossibility that anything could be better for me right now than being single."
(Paige Brown, Reformed University Fellowship, University of Virginia, Arlington)

Captian Sensible writes: I am sure Ms Brown means to be helpful. But would the above quote also apply for cancer, I wonder? Unemployment, maybe? How about the murder of one's child? Let's see how that sounds: "I am the mother of one of the students that died at Virginia Tech because God is so abundantly good to me, because this is his best for me. It is a cosmic impossibility that anything could be better for me right now than being the bereaved mother of one of the young students that was murdered at college on Monday morning."
Okay, I am guilty of using a shock tactic here, and I apologise if any offence is caused. I am also the first to admit that I am no theologian either. But does this sound like the God we serve to you? It certainly doesn't to me! I note the author of the quote is/was at the University of Virginia. Is that the Christian comfort that Ms Brown would offer to the bereaved? I sincerely hope not!
Yes, God can and does work all things for good. But that does not mean that all things are good. That would mean there was no sickness, sin or evil in the world! That would mean it was pointless for Jesus to die because bad things don't exist! (And just as an aside, why do we pray that "Thy will be done" in the Lord's Prayer if everything that happens is already God's will? Seems like a pretty pointless thing to pray in that case!)
Come on people, we can do better than the nonsense that is being spouted out about singleness these days just to give singles some kind of fake "feel-good" factor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home