Saturday, November 25, 2006

Wisdom and foolishness in the strangest places!


It has come to my attention that a lot of Christians talk a great deal of horsefeathers and a lot of supposedly "secular" folk show great wisdom and understanding.
On the discussion board of a militantly pro-singleness site, a male contributor has written the following revelatory comment: “The Bible speaks about one who finds a wife, but not about one who searches for a wife. These two are not the same. I can find a 100-dollar note on the street, but that doesn't mean that I apparently was searching for 100-dollar notes. The Bible discourages (but not prohibits) searching for a wife quite clearly in 1 Corinthians 7:27.”
What really is clear is that this person’s Bible obviously omits the preceding verse which begins: “Because of the present crisis…”
In contrast, let’s take a look at the British pop star, Robbie Williams. Below are some of the lyrics from one of his songs “Feel”, which illustrates the need we all have for romantic love. It's not always easy, and it takes courage, but it is as essential to us as the oxygen that we breathe.
I think God understands where Robbie is coming from here.
Foolishness from Christians and wisdom from pop stars?
Who’d have thought it?

Come on hold my hand,
I wanna contact the living.
Not sure I understand,
This role I’ve been given.

I sit and talk to God
And He just laughs at my plans,
My head speaks a language,
I don’t understand.

I just wanna feel real love,
Fill the home that I live in.
’Cause I got too much love,
Running through my veins, to go to waste.

I just wanna feel real love,
In a life ever after
There’s a hole in my soul,
You can see it in my face, it’s a real big place.

1 Comments:

Blogger Debbie Maken said...

It is amazing that a pop star would be able to spot something as sublime as the consuming need for romantic love, and yet Christians would feel the need to squelch same, as if it were an idol, something to subdue, master, destroy so that it cannot get in the way of our otherwise mediocre, half-hearted, mildly devoted relationships with God. None of us are that single-minded about God-- whether married or single. The simple reason for this is because God did not create us to be that way. We were not born to be monks, and we kid ourselves and contradict our very nature, the more that we think we are. We are not monks in any aspect of our lives from personal consumption to spending habits to being endlessly entertained, and yet when it comes to our sexuality, we think our selective monkishness and continued passivity to downright neglect of marriage will bring about more spirituality or devotion. There is a good word for cafeteria monkishness-- hypocrite.

God is the creator of our sexuality and He meant for it to be good and for it to be acted on in the most appropriate way-- through marriage. For us to now place such a desire in competition with creator of it is truly foolish.

Sometimes when I hear about these bachelors writing on sites like Purposefully Single and all of these other singleness pundits extolling the virtues of this mystifying gift, I often feel like we are the children of Israel, where the promises and blessings of the Covenant are going to be skipped over us but be given to others who have followed His blueprint more closely-- i.e. to be fruitful and multiply. The broken hearts of many single women and men is only the beginning; we should fear the fallout a generation from now if this misteaching about the gift of singleness actually seeps any further into the body of Christ.

Many thanks to those who publish this blog and for all your support of my book.

Debbie Maken

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home