Monday, July 02, 2007

Boundless - More Shame

Captain Sensible writes: Once again, Boundless editor, Ted Slater, proves he will intervene in the comment section on just about every subject under the sun, except wrong thinking on singleness.
Pity the poor woman that wrote the following, and shame on you Boundless for not addressing this sister in pain.

"(T)he desire to build my life together with someone and to share my life with someone have become overwhelming, and painful. I wish God had rather made me celibate than giving me the strong desire to be helpmeet, when I cannot be one...I would like to be a young wife. But I hate myself for needing a man, and not being able to stop needing one, when God won't provide me with one, and obviously wants me to be single.
At least men can pursue, but women are totally reliant on God to provide, and when he won't and says no to your prayers, there is really nothing you can do. I wish I was stronger and more independent and that I was totally fine by myself and that I didn't need a man. And I really am trying to be. But I seem to fail in my efforts to not need a life companion.
When God made Eve so the man wouldn't be alone, I thought it was meant to be a blessing to humans, a good gift and something to benefit and meet our needs. For me the desire for a life companion has been anything but a blessing. It is simply painful, and far from the gift of what God intended. I have prayed many times to be gifted with celibacy to make these desires go away."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that comment on Boundless and it could have just as been me writing it (but it wasn't).

What disturbs me though about this post is that it seems as if the writer believes that God wants her to be single, simply because she is suffering protracted singleness. I wonder if she has been told that it is "God's Will" that she is single and that is why there is no man in her life?

This is a rhetorical question (if that is the right term) but gee, am I one of the (seemingly very) few people out there who does NOT believe that it either could be God's "Will" that we are single or that He WANTS this woman to be feeling this way? I just DON'T BELIEVE it.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Captain Sensible said...

Good on you Shazia! You're right - they're wrong! :-)
We will win this battle for the truth. Yes, there are many that believe this lie, and others that continue to promote it, despite the fact that I believe in their hearts they know it is wrong, but even though the numbers are not on our side, remember this:
Even just one person, plus God, is a mighty, mighty, victorious army!
It is irrelevant to God how many are opposing us.
And so it really shouldn't matter too much to us either!

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At my church (a vineyard!) I have been told that they don't want men asking women out that they have met. Is there some point where the "kissing dating goodbye" folk have to bear some responsibility for treatmeng christian men like predators?

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home