Monday, August 13, 2007

"Shout To The Top!": A message from God via...Paul Weller!

Captain Sensible writes (somewhat sheepishly): OK, I have taken massive liberties with the title here, but I really think it's true! [Being a massive Paul Weller fan for, oh, only about 25 years, just may be skewing my perspective slightly! But I don't think I have completely lost my marbles - yet! ;-)]
But anyway, after reaching a point where I felt near despair (thanks Christianity magazine, amongst other things, for not printing my letter in response to the Liz Speed and Diane-Louise Jordan article "Getting married in no-man's land", and instead printing two letters that completely undermine their vitally important message!), I was queuing up in the bank and heard one of my favourite songs, "Shout to the top" by The Style Council.
How could I have missed the significance of these lyrics these past 20 years?
Get down on your knees and "shout to The Top" in prayer!
God bless you, Paul Weller!

Enjoy Shout To The Top on YouTube and see lyrics below.

Shout To The Top
I was half in mind - I was half in need,
And as the rain came down - I dropped to my knees and prayed
I said oh heavenly thing - please cleanse my soul,
I’ve seen all on offer and I’m not impressed at all.
I was halfway home - I was half insane,
And every shop window I looked in just looked the same
I said send me a sign to save my life
cause at this moment in time there is nothing certain in
These days of mine

Y’see it’s a frightening thing when it dawns upon you
That I know as much as the day I was born
And though I wasn’t asked (I might as well stay)
And promise myself each and every day - that -

When you’re knocked on your back – an’ your life’s a flop
And when you’re down on the bottom there’s nothing else
But to shout to the top - shout!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home