Tuesday, April 15, 2008

THE GIFT OF SINGLENESS IS DEAD!!!

Captain Sensible writes: Well, actually, I'll leave it to Gortexgrrl, rather than "Captain Sensible", to write:

BREAKING NEWS -----

THE GIFT OF SINGLENESS IS DEAD!


After months of campaigning to have it removed from the remaining modern Bibles where it still occupies a place in 1 Cor 7:7, IT HAS FINALLY BEEN REMOVED FROM THE NEW LIVING TRANSLATION.

Check the online version for yourselves here.

Dr. Eugene Peterson at The Messsage has also agreed to do the same.

This is a tremendous victory, folks. Now the next task is to get the NLT to have the word "better" ("to remain as you are") changed to "good" in 1 Cor 7:8 (as it is written in most Bibles). Also, there are still some problems with The Message's version of Matthew 19:10-12. But for now, let's savour this moment and express thanks!

"I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea"

7 Comments:

Blogger Captain Sensible said...

Remember, here's the old wording:

"But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. But God gives to some the gift of marriage, and to others the gift of singleness."

THE GIFT OF SINGLENESS IS NO MORE!!!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Captain Sensible said...

Thanks of course also goes to Debbie Maken for being bold enough to challenge the contemporary church about "Rethinking the gift of singleness!"
Now buy the book!
"Getting Serious About Getting Married: Rethinking the gift of singleness" by Debbie Maken.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Praise God!!!!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
Praise Him all creatures here below!
Praise Him above ye Heavenly host!
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!

This is so wonderful, this verse is the first thing that came into my mind after I read the news. Thank you so much, all those who have worked so hard and endured so much in order to bring this about.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME!

I truly can't believe this...I can't believe this...

that verse was the one reason I could not handle the NLT...

4:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost!
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be,
World without end, Amen! Amen!

Wanted to add this one too, I'm in a really "Praise God" mood tonight! We sang both this one and the one in my earlier post during our wedding ceremony--I made sure they included them, as I loved singing them so much.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya all.. hey what has happened to this board? is it on holidays or finished? I miss the encouragement I find here!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Captain Sensible said...

I am happy you found it an encouragement. The gift of singleness is officially dead - that's great news of course! - but the Body will probably need some time before it works its way out completely.
Watch this space for a new post soon tho!

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home