Saturday, September 01, 2007

Debbie Maken's Biblical Truths About Singleness: #1

"I knew being discontent about my single status just wasn't allowed. Raising poignant questions about singleness came with the guarantee of an onslaught of trite platitudes and glib, pithy sayings. 'It's better to be single than to wish you were.' 'Marriage is a lot harder than it looks.' 'Bloom where you're planted.' 'It might not be God's will for you to marry.' 'God knows when you will be ready, and he'll send you a husband at just the right time.' 'Think of all the ways you can serve God by being single.' Knowing what I would hear, I pretended I was happy with my singleness, though in actuality I was totally miserable inside.'"
(Getting Serious About Getting Married: Rethinking the gift of singleness by Debbie Maken)

Captain Sensible writes: Thanks to Debbie Maken, no Christian woman need ever fake contentment about being single again! In years to come, we are going to look back and note the publication of Debbie's book as the moment when the church began a return to a Godly perspective on marriage and singleness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home