Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christians denigrating marriage

Captain Sensible writes: Anyone else noticed this? I don't just mean equating marriage to the invented "gift of singleness".
I think I mean singles (women especially) that have been brainwashed into convincing themselves that they actually don't particularly want to get married (like in a "sure it would be nice, but I want to focus on pleasing God" kind of way - as if marriage isn't a way God has created to do just that!).
Singles that have been brainwashed into thinking that desiring marriage is dangerous idolatry and in some way in competition to serving Him - like it's an either/or proposition.
I think I especially mean singles that caution against making a bad marriage whenever subject comes up. Like they find it comforting that a number of marriages do break down and they almost smugly (or even, in a barely-disguised manner, gleefully?) talk about people they know that have got divorced.
I really think we need to watch this as a dangerous new trend, bearing in mind Hebrews 13:4: "Marriage is honourable in all..." (KJV) or "Marriage should be honoured by all..." (NIV)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the passage you had in mind was Hebrews 13:4. There is no Hebrews 14. o_O

4 Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. (NIV)

4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. (KJV)

4 Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge. (NASB)

I read it as talking about those that defile the honor of marriage by cheating. I'm sure there are other passages out there that speak of how important marriage is, I just think this one is more aimed towards punishing the cheaters. :D

10:33 AM  
Blogger Captain Sensible said...

Thank you Flint, I have changed it in the post now!
With regard to your point, I think it means both.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home