Sunday, February 03, 2008

"We have managed to transform marriage, the most basic and universal of human institutions, into something controversial"

"In America over the last 30 years, we’ve done something unprecedented. We have managed to transform marriage, the most basic and universal of human institutions, into something controversial."

Captain Sensible writes: That's how the book "The Case for Marriage" by Linda Waite and Maggie Gallagher, opens.
And the church (here in the UK as well as in the States), the Body of Christ that should have been a steady rock during these culturally turbulent times for marriage, has been woefully in error, twisting Scripture to meekly follow our culture these past 30 years.
The book points out that "(V)irtually every study of happiness that has ever been done has found that married men and women are happier than singles".
No wonder then that singles find it so hard to reach that singleness nirvana that is promised to them, if they can only stop making an idol out of marriage!
I have not yet read the book myself, but the editorial review on Amazon, reads as follows:

"The wages of the married are high, commitment is good for the libido, and, despite 30 years of arguments to the contrary, happiness may just depend on reciting the wedding vow, according to Linda Waite and Maggie Gallagher. After sifting through the evidence and conducting their own studies, the authors conclude that marriage is beneficial and transformational, and that neither cohabitation nor swinging singledom are all they're cracked up to be. In fact, it turns out that marriage is a public heath issue: being single can take almost 10 years off a man's life, while wifely nagging really is good for his health. Getting and keeping a wife can also increase a man's income as much as an education...So, what does threaten marriage? For one, the insecurity engendered by the cultural acceptance of divorce. Couples are now less willing to invest fully in each other, the authors write, while 'commitment produces contentment; uncertainty creates agony.' Cultural indifference towards marriage is the other big downer. Because marriage is a public commitment, it can 'work its miracles only if it is supported by the whole society.' Not surprisingly, divorce gets a very bad rap as Waite and Gallagher pull out the heavyweight facts, particularly when it comes to its effect on children. The good news, though, is that marriage is resilient -- five years down the road most couples who considered but resisted divorce found that they were happy again."

Smug, "married by the age of 21", Christians may point the finger at the words “cultural indifference towards marriage” and tut, but what else is it that the church has been preaching this last generation? “Singleness is a gift. Marriage is a gift. You must be equally content with either.” If that’s not indifference towards marriage, I don’t know what is. (Debbie Maken gets it right – again – when she pointed out in an interview that the contemporary church is only "pro-marriage" and "pro-family" for those already in marriages and families! It isn't for singles!)
And it's with wry amusement that I note the line: "Commitment produces contentment; uncertainty creates agony." No wonder singles -- women especially, as they are more commitment-orientated naturally -- find it agonisingly impossible to "be content with singleness". I believe it is actually a sin to even try, as it ignores the creation mandate to be fruitful and multiply. The contentment in the Lord that Paul wrote about does not mean being content to allow a bad situation to continue when it is in our power to do something about it.
It's also interesting that the authors note that marriage can "work its miracles only if it is supported by the whole society."
But we are now in the desperate position that our culture is beginning to move on and recognise after all the benefits of marriage, while unrepentant pastors are still trying to preach that singleness is a gift!
Toby Young, associate editor of The Spectator, writes: “In a book called The Case for Marriage, Linda Waite and Maggie Gallagher point out that 90 per cent of married men alive at 48 will still be alive at 65, whereas only 60 per cent of 48-year-old single men will make it to retirement age. Married men are half as likely as single men to commit suicide and single men drink twice as much. Perhaps most alarmingly — at least for bachelors — a married man with heart disease can expect to live an average of 1,400 days longer than a single man with a healthy heart.”
Hmm – maybe that depends on one’s definition of a "healthy" heart? My post “Not good” for man to be alone shows how the isolation of singleness can lead to an early grave for men: "Pity the poor, lonely bachelor, living in fear of commitment in favour of 'keeping his options open' for decade after decade, and being lied to by Christians who tell him that, contrary to the Biblical command to be fruitful and multiply, he is living a fine and Godly life by remaining single throughout his 20s, 30s, 40s and then, ooops, he drops down dead from loneliness..."

(Ted Slater take note: You are doing neither single men, nor single women, any good by trying to distance yourself from those horrid "marriage mandators" like Candice Watters, and allowing the comments on your blog to spread false teaching. You have been placed in a position of influence where you could do a lot of good. Now is the time to step up and do it. You will not be able to wring your hands and plead ignorance when the day comes that you have to give account of your editorship at such a crucial point in time, when marriage was under severe threat from not just our culture but also the church.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Captain Sensible. Are you planning to read the book as well?

In addition, I would argue that Candice Watters shares in the false teaching culpability by placing the discussions about her articles in Ted's hands and rarely, if ever, intervening. I do remember one occasion where she said she didn't often check the comments because she was busy with being a wife and mothering three children, blah blah blah. It was a poor excuse. If she doesn't have time to follow the the discussions about what she writes, perhaps she should stop posting blog entries altogether.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Captain Sensible said...

This is really difficult for me. I am in agreement with Candice Watters on most things. But with regard to Boundless, and leaving comments unaddressed that spread/reinforce the very false teaching that her book sets out to put right? And virtually all the benefit from a good post is then lost amidst a sea of confusion?
I just don't get it.
I really just don't get it.
So, yeah, reluctantly I have to agree with you Anon.
Along with Ted Slater, Candice (and her husband Steve) are also culpable.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Captain Sensible said...

I found another blog tonight. Sums up the madness over marriage really. It is written by a single Christian woman, and she quotes from a letter that she wrote to a friend:

"I KNOW singleness is part of God's plan for me and that it's a precious part of who I am at the moment and that he likes me this way. I KNOW I would not be happy being married at the moment, because it would be to the wrong person. I KNOW that marriage is hard work and there are many many issues it creates that I don't have to deal with. I KNOW that being single gives me a freedom I could not have if I were married; freedom to spend my time the way I choose and to follow God without having to take into account another person's views. I KNOW that it doesn't matter where I am, if God wants me to get married, he'll provide the right person at the right time, and I would not want anything less than someone who is just right for me. I KNOW that my longing for marriage is really a representation of my longing for God and that marriage will never fulfill me, that I won't ever be fulfilled until I get to heaven. And I know God wants to be everything to me and he can fulfill me in ways a husband never could."

She then goes on immediately after to say: "However, all this knowledge made absolutely no difference whatsoever to the extreme emotions I was feeling at the time, the strong desire for companionship and physical and emotional intimacy with a man."
What can you say? It would be hilarious if it wasn't so deeply tragic. I can envisage a comedy series, a little like The Office (UK version - haven't seen the US one!), centred around a group of single Christian women, all declaring how Jesus is their boyfriend and that marriage won't make them the least bit happy... and then when they are alone they furtively dig out a yellowing bridal magazine from under their bed and guiltily pour over the pages, before breaking down tears of repentance, begging God for forgiveness for their grievous sin of wanting to be a wife and mother!
I am also getting a little bit tired of reading how single women are praying that "if it's not Your will/Your plan for my life, God, then please take away my desire to be a wife and mother." (The latest example of this is actually on Boundless. The editorial staff have not responded of course.)
When are we going to stop this madness?
Will sometime please tell me this is all just a bad dream and I am going to wake up and find single Christian women are allowed to be human again?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Captain Sensible said...

Oh, and if Carolyn McCulley was still writing about how singleness was a gift, she would no doubt warn the letter writer that her "extreme emotions" and "desires" were evidence that the enemy was prowling round her like a lion...

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to respond to the point about praying for God to take away the desire. A number of years ago I found I was regularly frustrated, disappointed, and heartbroken because two great desires in my life were unfulfilled. These were the desire to be a professional actress and the desire to marry. I happened to read a book (about a British female missionary that went to Brazil) that talked about asking God to take away the desire if it wasn't his will. I decided to ask this of God. It took many tears because obviously I didn't actually really want God to take the desires away because these were the desires of my heart. But I asked and I meant it. The result? A very interesting one - God took away the desire to act professionally. I am profoundly grateful for this - it used to tear me up inside but it no longer does. God did not take away the desire for a partner. I am also profoundly grateful for this - it helped me to see that my desires were not counter to God's will and give me confidence to pursue them. And the fact that God took away one desire but not the other confirmed to me that God really had answered my prayer in away just praying about the desire for marriage would not.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Captain Sensible said...

Interesting comment, Anonymous, thank you.
It is encouraging, but I think we all have to tread a bit carefully with this...
I am not doubting your experience, but feelings can be a little deceptive at times, and I wouldn't like to think of people praying for the desire for marriage to be taken away full stop.
We need to be encouraging marriage, and God's will and plan for marriage is clearly set out in the Bible, so there is really no need to pray for God to "take away the desire if it wasn't his will."
If I'm honest, I would say I would be wary of maybe "deceiving spirits" making someone think that God had removed the desire for marriage from them, when in actual fact He hadn't!
(The desire to be a professional actress is not so clearly stated in the Bible of course! ;-))

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Captain,

After reading that blog quote it never ceases to amazing what off-the-wall things people attribute to God and I've heard some strange things before. One has to wonder if they are referring to the Creator God, or a different god. It is indeed madness. BTW, I'm curious which blog you found that off of.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW Captain, I forgot to mention, the blog quote I was referring to was the one that the single gal wrote about it being God's plan for her to be single. Just to clear up any confusion. :)

10:18 PM  
Blogger Captain Sensible said...

Vincenzo - I honestly can't remember. But sadly, it is so typical you can read similar thought everywhere...
It reminds me of another comment posted somewhere else, where this kind of attitude was brilliantly mocked: "I have my book club. I babysit. I am perfectly content being single and childless. Except when I cry myself to sleep at night. Or come back from work to an empty house every evening. But I am full of joy. I am content."
Oh dear...what a mess!

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home